J. Sheldon Capeloto has been practicing law for more than 36 years, and currently maintains a diverse practice, handling a variety of bankruptcy matters, representing both debtors and creditors, debt restructuring and business liquidations, family law matters, with a focus on mediation and dispute resolution, business litigation and collection litigation.
Mr. Capeloto is admitted to practice in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, all of the courts of the State of California, including the United States District Courts for the Central, Northern, Eastern and Southern Districts of California, and the United States District Court for the District of Arizona.
He received his B.A. with Honors from the University of California at Berkeley and his J.D. from Golden Gate University School of Law.
Mr. Capeloto has received an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell. Martindale-Hubbell has maintained ratings for lawyers for more than a century, and currently reviews or assigns ratings for over 150,000 lawyers each year. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of bar members and the judiciary, and attest to the individual lawyer's legal ability and adherence to accepted professional standards of ethics. An AV rating signifies that a lawyer has reached the heights of professional excellence and is recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity.
For the last several years, Mr. Capeloto has been chosen by his peers as one of Pasadena's Top Attorneys, as published in Pasadena Magazine, for his work in the areas of family law and bankruptcy. In 2011, he received a “Preeminent” rating from Martindale-Hubbell for ethical standards and legal ability. In 2013, he was chosen as one of the Top Lawyers in California, as published in American Lawyer Media, selected by peer recognition for highest ethical standards and professional excellence. In 2015, he was selected as one of Southern California’s “Top Rated Lawyers” as featured in Los Angeles Times, The American Lawyer, Corporate Counsel, The National Law Journal, Law.com and latimes.com. In 2016, he was named in the top 1% of America’s “Most Honored Professionals” by the American Registry and received a “Preeminent” rating from Martindale-Hubbell for ethical standards and legal ability.
- California, 1979
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 1979
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 1980
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1987
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1995
- B.A. with Honors, University of California at Berkeley, 1973
- J.D., Golden Gate University School of Law, 1979
PAST AND PRESENT MEMBERSHIPS
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Family Law and Commercial Law Sections
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service Panel Member
- Pasadena Bar Association, Family Law and Commercial Law Sections
- Italian American Lawyers Association, Past President and current member
- San Gabriel Valley Lawyer Referral Service - Past President - Board of Directors and Panel Member
- San Gabriel Valley Family Law Study Group
- Volunteer Lawyers Project - Pro Bono Services
- Harriet Buhai Center for Family Law - Pro Bono Services
- Union Station Homeless Services - Pro Bono Services
- Financial Lawyers Conference
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum
- Central District Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys Association
- Rotary Club of Pasadena - President and Former Board Member
- Pasadena Police Foundation - Former Board Member
- San Gabriel Valley Regional Office Advisory Council for Make-A-Wish Foundation
- Southern California Mortgage Bankers Association - Former Board Member
- Contributing writer to the "Family Law Issues Section" of the CEB publication Personal and Small Business Bankruptcy Practice in California published in 2006.
- In re Glasper, 28 B.R. 6 (9th Cir. BAP 1983)
- In re Kinney, 51 B.R. 840 (Bankr. C.D. Cal. 1985)
- In re Kelley, 199 B.R. 698 (9th Cir. BAP 1996)
- "AV" Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Certificate of Tribute - The Harriet Buhai Center for Family Law
- “Preeminent” Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, 2011
- Pasadena's Top Attorneys, Pasadena Magazine, 2010-2014
- Top Lawyers in California, American Lawyer Media, 2013
- Top Rated Lawyers - Southern California, American Lawyer Media, 2015
- Top 1% of America’s Most Honored Professionals – American Registry, 2016
- “Preeminent” Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, 2016